A Chelmsford sergeant came down the mountain after an emergency


Local news

New Hampshire officials attempted a helicopter rescue, but thunderstorms and clouds forced a change of plan.

Rescuers took a Chelmsford police sergeant to Mount Moriah in New Hampshire on Saturday after he suffered a “potentially serious” medical condition while on the mountain, officials said.

New Hampshire Fish and Game officials were called for help around 1:10 a.m. after Stephen Fredericks, 49, experienced medical problems on the Carter-Moria Trail near the summit of Mount Moriah, the agency said in a news release.

Frederick passed out for unknown reasons, according to WCVB.

Chelmsford Police Sgt. Stephen Frederick. – Chelmsford Police Department/Facebook

According to a statement from NH Fish and Game, given Frederick’s signs and the distance from the nearest road, officials requested a helicopter from the New Hampshire National Guard.

As the Blackhawk took off from Concord, thunderstorms and clouds over the mountain prevented the rescue of Frederick, the agency said. Instead, Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue volunteers walked nearly 8 kilometers with the rescue litter.

AVSAR volunteers, conservation officers and Fredericks walkers carried the litter, according to a press release. Rescue crews rushed Fredericks to Androscoggin Valley Hospital in Berlin by ambulance at 12:35 a.m. Sunday — about 12 hours after the first call for help.

NH Fish and Game did not release additional information about Fredericks’ condition, but noted that he was an experienced hiker who was planning to climb Carter Ridge with eight companions.

“He had all the necessary tools and extra equipment as he was planning a night hike,” the agency said.

Chelmsford Police Chief Colin Spence told WCVB that Frederick was with other members of the police department who are trained as paramedics and can provide assistance before and during the rescue.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time,” Spence told WCVB.

“We are glad that our officers have received high medical training and were able to provide this assistance,” he added. “We would like to thank all departments involved in the rescue effort.”

All news on the site does not represent the views of the site, but we automatically submit this news and translate it using software technology on the site, rather than a human editor.

Leave A Reply