A huge win for Xabi Alonso’s men, who go five points clear at the top of the Bundesliga. Here’s all the best facts and numbers with our Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich stats page.
A superb performance from Bayer Leverkusen against Bayern Munich saw Xabi Alonso’s men extend their lead at the top of the Bundesliga to five points with 13 games remaining.
Goals from Bayern loanee Josip Stanisic, as well as Alex Grimaldo and Jeremie Frimpong sealed a 3-0 victory for Leverkusen against an uninspired Bayern, who could only muster one shot on target at the BayArena.
Check out the best post-match Opta facts below, and investigate the game yourself with our stats centre.
Bayer Leverkusen 3-0 Bayern Munich: Post-Match Opta Facts
- For the first time since 2009 to 2010, Bayer Leverkusen are undefeated in three Bundesliga games in a row against Bayern (W2 D1), then still managed by Jupp Heynckes. Die Werkself last celebrated two home league wins in a row against them in 1997 under Christoph Daum.
- Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten in 31 competitive games in a row (W27 D4) and are only one game away from the record for a Bundesliga team: Bayern were undefeated for 32 competitive games in a row from 2019 to 2020 under Hansi Flick.
- Leverkusen has had the third-best season of a Bundesliga team after 21 games (55 points). Only in 2013-14 (59) and 2015-16 (56) did Bayern have more points at the same stage.
- Xabi Alonso is unbeaten in his first three Bundesliga games against Bayern (W2 D1) – only Hans Meyer, Zvonmir Soldo and most recently Julian Nagelsmann had achieved that since the turn of the millennium.
- Bayern have already suffered two defeats on the first four matchdays of the second half of the Bundesliga – this last happened to them in 2008-09 under Jürgen Klinsmann (three defeats). In the first half of the season, Bayern had only lost once in 17 games.
- Bayern have failed to score in two of their last five Bundesliga games – the same as in their previous 153 Bundesliga games.
- Thomas Tuchel’s men only had one shot on target against Leverkusen. The last time they had so few in a competitive game was April 2022, in a 3-1 defeat at FSV Mainz in the Bundesliga.
- After 21 matchdays, Bayern Munich are five points behind the league leaders, Leverkusen. Since the introduction of three points for a win, they have only made up such a deficit so late in the season in 2018-19 when, after 21 games, they were five points behind Borussia Dortmund.
- Josip Stanisic, on loan from Bayern, scored his second Bundesliga goal. He previously scored for Bayern against Wolfsburg in May 2022.
- Alex Grimaldo has been directly involved in 17 goals in his first 21 Bundesliga games for Leverkusen (8 goals, 9 assists) – since detailed data collection began in 2004-05, only Patrick Helmes has recorded more in the first 21 Bundesliga games for Die Werkself, in 2008-09 with 19 direct goal involvements.
Bayer Leverkusen 3-0 Bayern Munich Timeline
Bayer Leverkusen 3-0 Bayern Munich Stats Centre
Our Opta match centre delivers you all of the Bayer Leverkusen vs Bayern Munich stats from Saturday’s Bundesliga clash.
The match centre below includes team and player stats, expected goals data, passing networks, an Opta chalkboard and more. It gives you everything you need to do your own post-match analysis of the game.
First appeared on theanalyst.com