March 7, 2023 – Russia-Ukraine news
According to the Army General Staff, Ukrainian forces continue to defend against Russian attacks in the hit city of Bakhmut.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has warned that if Russian troops take control of Bakhmut, it will be an “open way” to capture other key cities in eastern Ukraine. He defended his decision to keep Ukrainian troops in the besieged city and in his evening speech announced the death of the famous Ukrainian soldier Dmitry Kotsiubailo, who was killed in Bakhmut.
As of Tuesday, about 4,000 civilians were still in Bakhmut, according to the country’s Deputy Prime Minister Irina Vereschuk. According to him, Ukrainian workers are still working to evacuate the remaining residents, but the current situation makes their work even more difficult.
If you’re just getting by, here’s what you need to know:
Russian attacks. Ukrainian officials say that while most of the attention is focused on the battle for Bakhmut, fierce fighting continues a short distance north of Luhansk region. The Ukrainian military said Russian forces were also continuing their offensive in Kupyansk, Liman, Avdiyivka and Shakhtarsk.
Exchange of prisoners. Ukraine and Russia exchanged prisoners of war on Tuesday in another exchange between the two sides. Moscow said it was able to return 90 servicemen from territory controlled by Kiev, while Ukraine said it was able to return 130 soldiers from Russian captivity.
The Nord Stream is flowing. A senior Ukrainian official has denied any involvement of the Ukrainian government in the late September 2022 Nord Stream pipeline leak, which Western leaders believe was the result of sabotage. Mykhailo Podoliak, an adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyi, responded to New York Times speculation that a “pro-Ukrainian group” attacked and destroyed the Russian-owned Nord Stream pipelines. that. was badly damaged last year.
The death of a Ukrainian soldier. The Ukrainian military identified the executed soldier as Tymofii Mykolayovych Shadura in a video that went viral on Monday. State Department spokesman Ned Price said the department was aware of the “horrifying footage” of the executions.
All news on the site does not represent the views of the site, but we automatically submit this news and translate it using software technology on the site, rather than a human editor.