Pentagon misled public over drone strike that killed children – NYT – RT World News

0

An internal investigation has accused the 2021 Kabul drone strike of wrongdoing.

According to an internal military investigation, faulty assumptions and biases by US analysts led to the August 2021 drone attack in Kabul that killed 10 civilians, including seven children, during the Pentagon’s chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Tensions were high on the day of the Aug. 26 drone attack, three days after a terrorist attack at Kabul airport that killed 13 US soldiers and more than 100 Afghans. A U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) investigation said another ISIS attack was expected later that day, and intelligence indicated it may have involved a white Toyota Corolla, New York reported Friday. Time.

Military analysts noticed a white Corolla pulled over to what they believed to be an ISIS-K compound, so they began tracking the vehicle, the report said. Hours later, after the vehicle was parked in a gated yard near the airport, an MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aerial vehicle was ordered to fire a Hellfire missile. On the same day, US officials announced that another terrorist attack had been prevented.


As reports of civilian deaths began to emerge, U.S. officials said they had “obviously not” The death toll and whether the secondary explosion could have killed anyone is being investigated. However, according to the Times, a CENTCOM investigation found that analysts reported that civilian casualties were likely within 20 minutes of the attack. Within three hours, they estimated that at least three children had died.

Military officials continued to withhold knowledge of the strike. Three days later, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mark Milley, said the attack had taken place “good” and he killed an ISIS sympathizer and an unknown person “others.” The driver of the Corolla turned out to be a relief worker, busy all day packing up his employer’s laptop, taking colleagues back to work and loading water into his trunk to bring home.


Drone attack that killed children with impunity - Pentagon

The CENTCOM investigation ended a week and a half after the drone strike and was never made public, the Times reported. Sixteen months later, the newspaper obtained 66 partially redacted pages of the report only after it sued CENTCOM under the Freedom of Information Act.

The survey detailed what drives analysts to make woefully wrong predictions. For example, they concluded that the package loaded in the car contained explosives “careful handling and size”, and the driver’s erratic driving means that he attempted to escape from control.

You can share this story on social networks:

RT

All news on the site does not represent the views of the site, but we automatically submit this news and translate it using software technology on the site, rather than a human editor.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.