Venus Williams withdrew from the Australian Open due to injury

0

Venus Williams has pulled out of the Australian Open this week after suffering an injury during a tournament in Auckland, New Zealand.

Williams, a seven-time Grand Slam champion, received a wild card to compete in her 22nd qualifying event at Melbourne Park last month at the Australian Open.

But the Australian Open said on Saturday that Williams, 42, had withdrawn from the tournament on January 16. He did not give details about his injuries.

It continues a host of challenges for Williams, who last played at Melbourne Park in 2021.

Williams, a two-time Australian Open champion, injured her ankle and knee in the scene in her second-round match against Sarah Errani when she clumsily clung to the net.

Her best efforts at Melbourne Park came in 2003 and 2017 when she defeated her sister Serena Williams in the final.

Now ranked 1,003rd, Williams said she was excited to return to Melbourne when she was given a wild card in December.

“I’ve been competing in the country for over 20 years and the Australian community has always supported me wholeheartedly,” he said.

The five-time Wimbledon champion has struggled with injuries over the past two years and was limited to just four tournaments in the United States last August. She did not make it past the first round of these events and ended her season when she lost to Alison van Uytvanck at the US Open.

But she started 2023 on a high note by defeating American Katie Wolynets in Auckland. She lost in the second round to China’s Zhu Lin in three sets.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.